Monday, June 18, 2012

Surgical and Maternity Wards: 1 Week Left



In the maternity ward, I also saw a woman who had just had her right breast removed and a c-section in the same surgical session. She had malignant breast cancer and she was full-term pregnant (meaning that she had been carrying the woman for 38 weeks). The doctor was reviewing the stitches which sprawled across her chest and concluded that they were septic (infected). The situation was unfortunate because there was no way of knowing if all of the cancer was removed from her body but now she has an infection to deal with? I sighed. The only thing covering her newly-stitched breast-less chest was a thin blanket. And there were flies everywhere in the room. And I had just seen a mouse scurry across the floor. The normality of the situation caused no one in the ward to flinch. This was typical.




Sorry that everything is underlined
. I am not sure why it is doing this.

 I know, it is gruesome.




Cheesy picture of my in scrubs before scrubbing in for surgery. I took this as a tribute to one of the biggest medical inspirations in my life: my dad. Happy belated Father's Day!




Me after scrubbing in, just before the DNC surgery.



They preserved some abnormal fetuses. You can see that this developed into only half a fetus.



The surgical room. Rather sophisticated technology 
 relative to the rest of the hospital.










From left to right: a jar of "moles" or under-developed fetuses and worms and parasites in the last two jars. All of the worms in the last jar were recently extracted from one person.




The newborn child which I saw the natural birth for. 


Above: I decided to throw in a couple random pictures. Here is a picture of my room where I sleep. The mosquito net makes me feel like a princess.


Left: This is my program coordinator, Joshua Omolo, and I. He has been so caring and kind through this program. I want to come back next year.




Point of information: all these pictures literally took me 4 hours to upload

3 comments:

  1. Great post Shelly, although you know how I feel about intestinal worms...

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy shit. my mind is blown. i can't. i literally can't. that heel! and then the newborn baby! if i were there, i'd be constantly volleying between resisting the urge to puke and resisting huge dumb grins. i don't know how you're doing this but i cannot wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. i really hate captcha's or whatever the hell they're called.

    ReplyDelete